National day of action – 19 March 2015
Put a STOP to Benefit Sanctions
[first posted by unitetheunion.com]
More and more people are facing benefit sanctions. Over 2 million people have had their money stopped in the past 2 years.
That’s 2 million people, many of whom have been plunged into poverty, unable to heat their homes or even eat. How is this meant to help prepare people for work?
Benefit sanctions must be fought against – say #No2Sanctions
These sanctions are cruel and handed out for ridiculous reasons such as:
- Arriving minutes late to a meeting
- Not applying for jobs when waiting to start a new job!
- Missing an appointment on the day of the funeral of a close family member.
This has to stop
Up and down the country on Thursday 19 March Unite will be protesting against the cruel use of sanctions. Join Unite and take action too.
FOUR ways to get involved
- Join an event near you on Thursday 19 March to stop benefit sanctions in your community.
- Sign the petition calling on the government to stop using sanctions.
- Share your story – Unite is looking for people who have been sanctioned to tell their story.
- We want to show the reality and impact on people’s lives – show your support – share you thoughts and add your support on Twitter and Facebook #No2Sanctions, Like unitetheunion on Facebook.